About "Catch & Research"

Welcome. I found my passion in ecological economics and fishing. They are all about pursuit of unknown and uncertain objects. I always enjoy the seemingly reckless pursuit itself. This blog is a record of my long journey in research and fishing. Your comments are welcome and appreciated.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Graph presentation? Need help!

I am working on my dissertation. There is no economics dissertation without graphs. Economists love graphs! So, I am putting many graphs. Decomposition results are hard to present. I found this bar and line graph style was the best. If you know better one or have any other suggestion, please let me know. One of my problem is that there are so many decomposition factors (26). Some of them are zero and meaning less. But still many, as you can see. This graph is auto-generated by open office calc. Unfortunately, there are color code overlapping. I can customize color code, but it is not easy task. I have many graphs, I have to keep same color code for all the graphs...

By the way, a bit explanation of the graph. Blue total line shows change of total demand for gasoline. Orange change line shows change of difference between total demand for gasoline of two terms. Bar shows decomposition factors.

3 comments:

Lorien of Momo said...

What a complex graph it is! Even though you can customize the colors, it may be very difficult to distinguish the 26 items (e.g., Sometimes, I feel difficulty in distinguishing light yellow, normal yellow, and dark yellow).

How about this?

1. Grouping similar items (e.g., Ex, S, Kg, Kp, Cg, Cp. Tech). The fewer number of groups, the better to visualize.

2. Using the groups in the graph(instead of the individual items).

3. Generating a graph for each group.

Maybe, you need more graphs compared to the current writing. However, I think "the graph lovers" like them.

Lorien of Momo said...

Opps..

3. Generating a graph for each group.

-->

3. Generating an additional graph for each group.

"Sung" said...

Wow, it was a comment like after million years! Thanks, Lorien. I will present the graph as you suggested along with this "total" graph. Thanks, again.