About "Catch & Research"

Welcome. I found my passion in ecological economics and fishing. They are all about pursuit of unknown and uncertain objects. I always enjoy the seemingly reckless pursuit itself. This blog is a record of my long journey in research and fishing. Your comments are welcome and appreciated.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Smallie at sunset

I submitted my draft of dissertation to the research committee. Relief for a while, and I am receiving comments from committee members. I thought that I got used to tough criticism, but it is always hard to swallow... Anyway, to refresh myself, I went fishing at sunset time. It was low tide and cloudy. After less than 10 casts, I caught 17 1/2 Smallmouth bass at 8:05pm. It was tall but not fat; definitely male bass. I used long tail swim bait on 6'6" med rod + 2500 size reel spooled with 12 lb test braid line. I started using jig heads designed for swimbaits, and I like them (see the picture below). I don't think that the jig heads make difference in catch rate, but they help to rig swimbait right and minimize damage on the baits. I will talk more on rigging with the swimbait jig head later.


I saw many boats fishing for striped bass on the Hudson all day. I cannot wait to join them after my defense next week. Troy's Striped bass tournament is scheduled on Saturday, May 15th. Kinda late this year.

No comments: