About "Catch & Research"

Welcome. I found my passion in ecological economics and fishing. They are all about pursuit of unknown and uncertain objects. I always enjoy the seemingly reckless pursuit itself. This blog is a record of my long journey in research and fishing. Your comments are welcome and appreciated.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

When swimbait snagged

Caught two small mouth bass this evening at the Hudson shore: 16" and 10". I hooked one more 15" something bass but line broke. I should re-tie the knot after casting 100 more times... My laziness was punished.

Anyway, when you fish with swimbait, how do you handle snagging? Kick and scream out loud, then cut line? When I fish with long tail swimbait on jig heard at shallow water, it often snags. Here is what I do when I fish at the shore:
  1. When I feel resistance, it is a critical moment. It could be fish or snag. I shortly pause reeling to determine. If it is fish, it will pull. Then set hook! If it is snag, it will not. It is hard to tell, but experience can help.
  2. If it is snag, shake rod tip gently. I do not attempt to force it free. This could break the line or even rod. From my experience, it solves about 40% of problems.
  3. When no.2 fails, I use more force. I rhythmically twitch my rod. It solves about 20% of problem.
  4. When no.3 fails, I open my bail arm and move to other spots. Changing angle, I repeat nos. 2 and 3. It frees about 30% of snags.
  5. When no.4 fails, well I abandon the rod for a while and retry. It could free the snag at river, but the chance is rare. Finally, I give up and break the line by pulling it slowly. In this way, I lose my tackle 1 output 10 snags. I think it is not bad.
The method to free from sang highly vary depending on bottom conditions. Thus, it is just general reference. One my strong recommendation is, "do never pull hard when you first feel snagged!" I hope it will save more your tackles.

No comments: